Monday, November 27, 2006

Coming of Age

At what point is it appropriate to begin monitoring your child's computer time?
Yesterday.

I just spent this weekend creating unique user accounts for the kids. This was done partially to keep them form accidentally causing havoc among the important files (i.e. songs purchased from iTunes, photos, work sutff, etc.) but mostly so I can gain some control over what they're donig. I installed Bumper Car. If you've got a Mac and kids this should be required. Now I feel much better. Even though they're usually on Nick Jr, Noggin, or Playhouse Disney, I just feel safer.

At least today I can pretty easily draw the line on what content is available to them. As they get older is this going to become more difficult? I'd love to shelter them from the world, but that's just going to frustrate me and them as they get older. So how do you create a safe knowledge of "This is the way the world is" without dangerous exposure. Every day I relate more and more to this dad.

No comments: