Saturday, March 19, 2005

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

I wasn't sure how this would play with 14 year olds. I used the English audio track instead of the subtitles since it is really difficult to read small pring on a tv screen from more than 15 feet away.

I was very impressed with the resosponse Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon received from my students. Of course, it was probably a bit easier for them to understand than the literature I was aksing them to compare it to.

I decided to finish the school year with Romeo and Juliet as a way of going out with a bang not a whimper. I had used excerpts from the Zefirelli version and the Luhrmann version throughout the unit, so I was reluctant to show either film in their entirety. As I began thinking about some of the themes in the film, I decided that Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon shared quite a few similarities. I knew that there were enough action sequences to keep the boys interested, but I wasn't sure how most of the girls in class would respond.

Overall the students did an impressive job with their compare/contrast essays. Since I got such a strong response to the film I have also used it as an example of the hero's quest in conjucntion with The Odyssey.

No comments: