Monday, March 07, 2005

Misunderstood misfits or Romantic Heroes?

It is interesting to see how different generations react to heroes.

When I was in school reading The Catcher In The Rye was something that could get you in trouble or get you labeled as a rebel. Unfortunately that does not seem to be the case today. My students thought of Holden Caulfield as a "loser that needs to get on with his life and stop whining about stuff." Bewildered, I looked for a way to demonstrate Holden's contempt for a society of "phonies." What other character questioned the rules of society?
Cool Hand Luke

Just be careful with this one. I had forgotten about the car washing scene and almost got myself into a lot of trouble. But there are a lot of opportunities to look at the individual vs. society, and characteristics of a Romantic Hero.

No comments: